Gateshead Council Support for Carers

Support for adult carers

If you look after anyone who because of illness or disability needs support and cannot manage without help then you are recognised in law as a carer.

Many people at some point in their lives become a carer even though they may have other responsibilities. Being a carer can be rewarding but it can also be very hard work and we recognise that sometimes carers need help.

Following a review and re-procurement by Gateshead Council and Newcastle Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group services for carers in Gateshead are now provided by Gateshead Carers and Carers Trust Tyne and Wear.

Gateshead Carers Association

If you are aged over 18 you can get services and support from the charity Gateshead Carers Association. They can discuss the services that are available to you and help create a Wellbeing Plan to give you the support you need, which could range from voluntary groups and community support services to Council funded commissioned support. If they can't help, they will sign post you to other organisations that can.

When you first contact Gateshead Carers Association, one of their Carer Wellbeing Facilitators will have a conversation with you to find out about your caring role and what matters to you. That conversation can cover any aspect of your life which you wish to talk about. Having supported thousands of people with a caring role in Gateshead, they know that many carers come to them because they are feeling stressed and anxious, are losing contact with friends and family, are tired and exhausted, are in financial difficulty, feel that their caring role is overwhelming or wish to return to or stay in employment, education or training.

Many people want to know their rights or those of the person they care for. Whatever you want to discuss, they will listen. After telling them about what matters to you they will talk to you about the range of services they offer. This includes:

- -confidential, free information and advice to people 18 or over who provide unpaid care to family members or friends

- -helping you get a short break from your caring role through the Carer Wellbeing Fund or at our country house in Cumbria

- -social groups, peer support groups, LGBTQ and minority ethnic carer groups

Their friendly team would love to hear from you.

For further information contact:

0191 490 0121 (opens new window)